God’s Vision for Haiti
God’s Vision for Haiti* (GVFH) was founded in 2009 to spiritually, emotionally, physically and educationally serve and transform the most vulnerable population in Haiti—orphans.
The ministry was started by a Grand Rapids, Michigan couple—Juska and Jona Lazarre, who during a 2005 trip back to Haiti, where they were both born and raised, felt God’s call to return and live there and invest their lives in the lives of abandoned children, showing them Christ’s love—one child at a time.
The ministry, is based in Haiti’s southeastern coastal city of Les Cayes, 120 miles from Haiti’s capital of Port-au-Prince. Seeking not to reinvent the “wheel,” as many ministries do, it partners with the best “ministry wheelmakers,” implementing their best-practices program models in the areas of foster care, education, work-skill training and discipleship.
One example of that type of partnership is the one with Bethany Christian Services Global, who started a foster care program in Haiti’s capital of Port Au Prince. As a strategic partner, GVFH is implementing Bethany’s model of foster care in Les Cayes.
God’s Vision for Haiti solely exists for one purpose: to show God’s love to the children and people of Haiti, and to do so in tangible ways by being the feet and hands of Christ’s feet in that place.
At God’s vision for Haiti we seek to:
- Love orphaned and abandoned children and move them from orphanages to Christian homes where they’ll be safe, welcomed and loved.
- Educate children so they can aspire to more than a secondary education and grow in “wisdom, and favor with God and man.”
- Train young men and women so they can acquire the job skills that will provide for them and their family’s needs.
It is during the process of actively giving to these, the least of our brothers and sisters, that we continuously share the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Statement of Belief
- We believe the Holy Bible to be the inspired, the only, infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is only one God who is eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the Deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return to the power of glory.
- We believe that eternal life and salvation can only come by faith through belief in Jesus Christ.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, who by His indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
We also believe that a nation’s most valuable capital asset lies in its people, yet:
- It is difficult for unwanted and starving people to want to listen to the Gospel of a good God. Their single-minded aim in life is to survive
- Uneducated people are stunted people—sheep who can easily be led to the slaughter
- Uneducated people cannot feed themselves—therefore they are condemned to an ongoing and generational cycle of dependency
*GVFH is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Christian ministry incorporated in the State of Michigan. The ministry’s EIN# is 27-1184841.